Monday, January 28, 2013

A Maintenance Workout and Food Galore

Today was rough on the old body.  I had this sort-of hangover feeling from being sick and my shoulder was really bothering me.  I had my normal Special K breakfast with coffee/creamer.  Mid-morning snack was a string cheese and an apple.  I mostly ate it because I had it, not because I was hungry.  Which is fine, I guess.

And all day I got to bask in the glory of all your fabulous comments on the Superhero ad, both here and on Facebook.  Seriously, you have given me so much to think about.  I always knew there were people out there reading my blog, people who might get inspired here and there, but the comments really touched me, really made me feel so grateful to possibly play even the smallest part in helping to inspire or motivate someone else.  It's truly the best gift I could get at this stage of my journey.

I was with a client in the south bay during lunch.  I suddenly had a genius idea, Five Guys!  I saw a feature on Five Guys hamburgers on the news last night.  Apparently Kaepernick (49ers quarterback, you know we're going to the Super Bowl, right?) eats there.  So there's a Five Guys in Burlingame, perfect.  A burger and fries would go perfect with my hangover feeling.  I ordered a cheeseburger with lettuce, tomato, and ketchup.  I was very tempted to get mayonnaise but I resisted.  We shared an order of fries.

It's like In-n-Out in an alternate universe


I had a "little" cheeseburger, 550 calories. 
The "Burgers" are double patty and the "Little" burgers are single.  Glad I asked.  I thought the little ones were like sliders or something.  If I weren't recovering from a stomach bug I probably would have added jalapenos to my burger.  And the regular order of fries (620 calories, btw) was HUGE.  I mean huge people.  We shared the order and still easily only ate half the order in total.  But my touchy stomach didn't stop me from dipping my fries in a mix of ketchup and tabasco, an old habit I picked up in Hawaii.

Five Guys cheeseburger and fries

I ate almost my entire burger, I think I left maybe a bite.  And I ate some fries, not sure how many but not a ton.  Of course I had water to drink.  I left feeling fully satisfied.  And the burger was SO FRIGGIN' GOOD!  Creamy, like I like 'em.  And let me tell you, I did not miss the mayonnaise one bit.  In fact, I'm so glad I skipped it.

Despite feeling tired, I went to the gym after work.  Between my stomach and my shoulder I was mostly going just to go, like a maintenance visit almost.  I had a plan to do a light bike ride and then light weights but when I got there the bikes were taken.  And then I overheard these women talking about a mat Pilates class that was about to start.  Now there's an idea.  So I trotted off to that.  Oh, and I wore my athleta tank top, if you can believe that.  I felt really weird, like I was half naked, but I tried not to let it show ;)  And catching a glimpse of my triceps in the mirror soothed my nerves.  Tee hee!  Reminds me of the first time I wore shorts to the gym and I'm so used to that now.

The Pilates class was good, lots of core work.  My abs are still pretty sore, between being sore last week and then the purging, ugh, they are all ouch, and I really felt them working.  The class was just what the doctor ordered.  I smelled some good gym air, maintained my habit of going, and didn't push my body beyond the limits given how I was feeling.  I decided this new term, "maintenance workout" is what I will call going to the gym just to maintain the habit and not so much to actually get any "exercise" done (by which I mean do my normal routine/break a sweat).  Very important part of staying on track over the years.

I was still full at dinner so I just nibbled on a few sweet potato fries and ate a couple pieces of the kids' chicken.  But chocolate chip cookies have been on the agenda for about a week so it was time to make them.  I worked on this recipe for months back in my 20's and I still love it.  They turn out just like I like 'em, soft on the inside, a little crispy on the outside, with the perfect amount of sweetness.  I had my cookie and then took a few bites of the ones the kids were eating.  And you know what?  That was enough.  Miracle of miracles.  There's more to this chocolate chip cookie story but I can't say until the article comes out (sorry for the horrible tease!).  Speaking of tease, wanna see a pic?

My super yummy chocolate chip cookies.
I really enjoyed that cookie.  And so did Marek.  Myra took one bite and passed.  If I didn't give birth to her myself I'd have to wonder...

Ok, that's all I got.  Let's hope I can hit the gym tomorrow and maybe do a 3 miler.  Thanks again for all the love. 

4 comments:

  1. I like the 'maintanence' workout. It's all about keeping the habits. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I'm going to update my "How I survive a slump" page and include this. It was a big lesson for me.

      Delete
  2. Yes! Sometimes people forget that after you lose the weight, you have to maintain it. ...and Pilates...oh how I swoon! I dream of taking a class. Just not yet!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right! If you can't keep doing what you're doing, keep tweaking until you can. Otherwise you'll lose that weight and then risk gaining it all back. Which is heartbreaking. Been there, done that, don't ever want to do it again. And you'll swoon over Pilates alright, 'bout the time your ab muscles are threatening to cramp up on ya!

      Delete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle