Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Laid Back Day

I'm still feeling all puffed up inside after my run last night.  I have to remind myself that every run won't be that fast.  In fact I need to make myself do an "easy" run tomorrow in preparation for Sunday's 10 miler.  Catherine has to run on Saturday so I'll be going solo.  I plan to drive somewhere scenic, maybe Sausalito, to make the miles go by easier.  There's a 30% chance of rain in the forecast for Sunday, which means a 70% chance of no rain, not bad odds.

As far as today, it's a rest day and my day home with the kids.  We had a laid back day around the house, playing and cooking.  I cooked up a batch of black beans in the slow cooker, I've been craving them lately.  But we're having turkey burgers and sweet potato fries for dinner again because I want to use up the buns from last time.  This time I made the burgers from scratch so they should be extra good.  Of course I'll cook up a veggie too. 

But the big meal for me was lunch.  I grilled a filet of salmon with blackening spices on the Foreman along with some sliced zucchini.  I cut them up and made a salad along with several tomatoes and 1/2 an avocado.  I put two tablespoons of Paul Newman Lite Balsamic on and tossed it up...Yummy.

Blackened Salmon Salad
The salad was HUGE.  I was finishing it up and feeling full, wondering if I should stop instead of polishing it off just because it was there.  But I told myself it was mostly vegetables and that the large glass of water was adding to my feeling full but I should probably finish the salad.  I like the intuitive eating concepts, which would have encouraged me to stop. I could've always saved the rest in case I got hungry later.  Anyway, blah blah blah, I ate the whole salad. 

That's all I got today.  I hope you've made choices you can feel good about today.  And if not, make the next good decision and you'll be back on track.  It really is that easy.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it great just to have a laid back day at home with the kids :) How do you fix the black beans in the crock pot? Seasonings? I love black beans but have only used them fresh for salads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I feel bad for the kids because I could have bundled them up for some outside time but I was too cozy in the house. The black beans are super basic, I cook 1.5lbs in 12c of water with 3teaspoons of salt for 6 hours on high. I don't pre-soak them (just rinse them off). The time will depend on your slow cooker, I had to experiment in the beginning. A lot of people cook them with chunks of onion and garlic (and then toss them when the beans are done) but I didn't notice a huge difference in taste when I did that. Then we eat them whole with rice, salsa and avocado or mash them up and make a sort-of refried beans with them. I put them in soups and chili too. And there's a quinoa black bean salad I want to try, which is partially why I made them. Unfortunately the kids like the canned refried black beans better (wouldn't ya know it) so we eat those a lot more than I'd prefer.

      Delete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle