Saturday, January 5, 2013

What Rest?

Friday night wrapped up with a trip to Costco.  I wanted to wait and eat my own dinner at home but I was too hungry.  So I got the Chicken Caesar Salad.  Costco lists the nutritional information with the dressing at 640 calories and a whopping 40 grams of fat, 62% of the rda for fat (based on a 2k calorie diet).  So I skipped the croutons (they are packaged separately so that's easy to do) and dipped my salad in the dressing, which meant I ate maybe 1/4 of the dressing.  It was a generally bland, dry meal but it did the trick and I wasn't hungry anymore.  But later at home I got hungry.  And the first bowl of cereal satisfied that.  The second bowl?  Well, I have no defense for that.  I've been trying to work on the late-night cereal and one good thing last night was that I ate smaller portions than I usually do.  Progress, not perfection.

Our spitfire, Myra Lynn.
Today started out like all Saturdays should, coffee, news, relaxing in my pajamas for a good long while.  The kids were in a good mood and everything just seemed to flow.

But because Miguel doesn't know how to sit still for very long we eventually started in on household maintenance stuff - organizing toys, clearing out random piles of paper.  Then it was nearly time to head out to birthday party #1.  Our neighbors' son Thomas first birthday.  There were lots of snacks and pizza and cake.  And I didn't show much restraint in the food department.  We had a nice time catching up on neighborhood news while the kids played.

My little prince.
Then home to put our little ball of joy down for a nap.  I went out for a quick trip to the grocery store before returning to take Marek for a haircut.  I know it's a cliche but he really is growing up so fast.  He'll be four in March, just a few months away.  He's my little negotiator.  Every time I set a limit, he's at the ready to make a deal with me. Generally I'd say he gets that from his father, who always has an offer you can't refuse. 

Party girl !!
After the haircut it was a quick run back home to pick up Miguel and Myra for party #2.  A friend of mine was  celebrating her birthday today and I haven't seen her (or her kids) in way too long.  So it was off to her house we went.

More snacks, more junk-type food for dinner, more sugar.  And I even had a drink.  ONE drink, mind you.  But I needed something to take the edge off after a day of running from one thing to the next.  Believe it or not I actually started today feeling like I wanted to exercise but now that the day is nearly over...well, thank goodness this was a "rest" day because all this rest has me exhausted!

I'm feeling very sinful and a bit regretful with the food intake today.  Of course I know all will be forgiven when I run tomorrow.  Well, maybe not all because I'm sure I did a number on my average daily intake with today's calorie count, not to mention last night's cereal.  But I'll just buckle down a bit early in the week, as I tend to do after a food-filled weekend, and it should all balance out in the end.
From a 2008 hike I took out there.

Speaking of tomorrow's run...the Marin Tri Club is doing a run in Point Reyes starting at Bear Valley out to Arch Rock and back.  Guess how long that is?  Yep, 8 miles.  Seems almost like destiny doesn't it?  If it weren't for the rain in the forecast I'd be jumping up and down with excitement.  But even with the rain prediction I'm still pretty excited for the run, that's what all the fancy running clothes are for, right?

But my girlfriend's husband is flaking so now I'm busy trying to hitch a ride with somebody else from the group.  Yes, Victor, I called you a flake. 

Well, it's already 10:30pm and I have to get to bed.  I have to be on the road by 8am and then run 8 miles, possibly in the rain, and almost certainly through some mud.  Going to get my clothes, running gear, energy gel and other stuff out before bed to decrease the likelihood that I'll flake myself in the morning. 

4 comments:

  1. I love the area you live in!! We went to SF for your 20th anniversary, and fell in love. You are so lucky to have such a beauty of a place to run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Darla, I agree! It's just gorgeous here and so many options of various types. There's really no good reason not to get outside. Funny though, I haven't had my 20th anniversary :) Hey, if you ever want to come back to do a tri or run event with me just let me know!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your honesty with yourself and US, your readers. It is good to see that you are a real life human being that has made it and is maintaining and living a NORMAL life of eating. You are cognizant but not anal, you indulge but show us exactly how you are going to negate the undulgement. You are doing it, and I think you for your tranpsarancy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome MaryFran. I admit, I sometimes want to leave out the "bad" stuff, like the 2nd bowl of cereal, but I stop myself and it's because of comments like yours. I'm glad it helps.

      Delete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle