Sunday, March 24, 2013

Another Sunday

It's Sunday night and I wish I could say I'm ready to face the new week but really, I could use another Sunday.  This weekend was busy.  On Saturday we took the kids to a 4 year old birthday party at a "giant indoor arena with gigantic inflatables."  There were a couple bouncy houses and a HUGE slide that I couldn't get enough of.  I might have had more fun than the kids bouncing, jumping and sliding. I love that my body allows me to let loose and have fun when the opportunity arises.  This is exactly the kind of thing that would have left me stuck on the sidelines in my prior life.  Not so now, I was right in the thick of things, having fun with my kids and laughing it up.  GREAT party Michelle! - another Michelle, I'm not talking to myself just yet.  Or at least not today.


After all the bouncing and sliding it was time for party food.  I had a couple pieces of pizza, a slice of ice cream cake and too much candy to list here.  On the drive home I couldn't believe the weather, just gorgeous, and perfect for a bike ride.  I sent a text to our sitter on the off chance she was free and voila!, we're in business. 


So Miguel and I took an easy 15 mile spin around town before stopping for some lattes on the way home.  Sitting outside, drinking coffee on a sunny Saturday afternoon - that's an ideal way to pass the time.  

After the ride I had to hustle and get ready to go into the city for dinner with some of my favorite girlfriends.  You know you're having a full day when you have several wardrobe changes.

Ready to hit the town!
We ate at West of Pecos in the Mission.  I started with a vodka soda and shared heartily in the chips and guacamole appetizer.  And then in the Green Chile Mac-n-Cheese (cave-aged cheddar, anaheim chiles, cornbread crumbles) appetizer.  Yummm.


Choosing my entree was tricky.  There were some good steak options, a salmon entree, and other tempting offers.  But what really sounded good were the ribs, Ancho & Apricot Pork Ribs.  Do you know I nearly didn't order them because I was thinking I should get something with more volume?  Talk about old thinking.  I wanted the ribs, order the ribs.  Since when have I lacked for food?  Maybe it was the vodka talking.  And I'm so glad I did, they were de.li.cious.  We all shared bread pudding for desert and it was good until we ran out of ice cream, then it was too dry.  

After dinner we headed across the street to what felt like a hipster, or at the very least youngster, bar.  I had another cocktail while we continued our long overdue catching up.

I got to bed way too late and found myself dragging my feet a bit today.  I would have liked to go for a run but it just didn't work out that way, which is fine.  Instead Miguel and I had a late morning at home with the kids before heading out for some essential errands.  My eating continues to be in the "more than necessary" department.  We went to Chevy's for dinner and I had chips and more chips, tortilla soup, followed by shrimp & crab enchiladas for my entree.  After all the chips and soup I could only eat about half my entree, but I still had plenty of room for desert - a mini sundae that I didn't need but enjoyed nonetheless.  I did manage to talk myself out of a margarita.  It sounded good and I was in desperate need of the magical powers of tequila, but it didn't feel right.  One has to draw the line somewhere. 

I got nothing to say about my eating choices these days.  It is what it is.  Some of my pants are a bit tight, and I can see my mid-section rounding out.  I keep telling myself that once I'm in the clear from this pneumonia thing I'll have plenty of time to reel things in and tighten back up.  I've got another full week until my follow-up chest x-ray.  How much damage can I do to my waistline in a week?  Don't answer that.  Anyway, I sure hope I'm taking it easy enough to be 100% clear by then.

Alright, that's all I got.  Off to dreamland.

3 comments:

  1. Congratsulations on your weight loss.
    I have lost 60 pounds from running and watching what I eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle! I've been lurking for a few weeks, but haven't commented on anything yet, although much of what you write rings true for me. I'm sure you'll get your groove back when you've gotten the all clear from the Doc. I too find that I'm SO much more motivated to eat the right foods when I'm exercising consistently, like I'm firing on all cylinders and one just keeps the other going. Once I slip at one of them, I feel like the whoe thing just kind of stall out until I'm back on track with both.

    I'm down 22 lbs. since December on WW and by dramatically increasing my activity. I was a college athlete but had forgotten how good it felt to really push my body past what is considered comfortable and to really see what it can do. After a hip injury last year, I'm picking up running again...I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll be able to run my first 1/2 next year but I'm also exploring other new ways to challenge myself.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle