Sunday, December 15, 2013

A Goal Partially Met

A Sunday evening blog post often finds me describing a weekend filled with activity. And I suppose this one was pretty active, though not with exercise. The weekend started with the end of my non-workday on Friday. I took the day off after waking up with a terrible headache and a stuffed up nose, oh and cramps. Enough already, I needed a break. After resting for most of the day I started making a dish to take to the kids' Holiday Sing-along at their preschool. Homemade mac-n-cheese. Started with a roux - butter, flour - and closed with whole milk, pasta, two kinds of cheese, salt...how can you go wrong? The food at the sing-along was mostly calorie-dense and that was our dinner.

I hadn't exercised during the day being sick-ish and all. I ran into a friend who is going to refer me to her practically magically healing alternative doc. Normally I'm too skeptical but she convinced me to give him a try. I'm tired of having what appears to be no immune system at all. Anyway, the sing-along was too cute!

Saturday brought more holiday fun, my buddy Michelle and I took the kids to a neighborhood gathering complete with a magician and an appearance by the jolly old man himself. Fortunately there was no food at this event but we went to FroYo after to make up for that. Saturday evening I went out for a grown up dinner, which included a couple drinks. I made decent (not stellar/not terrible) choices and skipped dessert. Alcohol or dessert, I really shouldn't be doing both unless it's a special occasion. And while eating out- with no dishes to clean or kids spilling food onto my lap - might feel like an occasion, it really isn't.

Sunday morning was supposed to be a run but, well, it didn't quite happen. And I'm ok with that, for now. I'd hoped to come up with a plan to run in the afternoon and the weather was brilliant for it, but that didn't happen either. But midday Sunday I took the kids to a friends birthday, which was held at a local outdoor shopping/dining area that has a weekly "food truck crush" in which various food trucks show up. The choices are varied and delicious and there's live music and plenty of space for the kiddies to roam and climb. The weather was lovely and we managed to kick around for several hours before the kids started to tire out.

Food-wise I had a fried chicken thigh and vietnamese garlic noodles - odd combo I know but that's food truck eatin' for ya - a few bites of the kids' ice cream and some Ghiradelli chocolate. Yes, I brought the chocolate to share (and unload). I got the chicken from Arki's.


And the noodles came from somewhere down that way...



Did I mention the music? They had this folk band in one area and a cello guy who sang in another.

The Farm Band
I managed to get the kids to dance with me between stints of hide-and-seek. It was a super fun afternoon. We came home and I did housework for a few hours and then made good on a promise to bake cookies with the kids. I'd planned to bake chocolate chip but they wanted to decorate them so we made sugar cookies. Still yummy. I ate a few of those. Or more.

Well, it's about bedtime now. I've got my gym bag packed for tomorrow. I'm thrilled with getting to the gym 4 times last week. A weekend workout would have been nice but it wasn't in the cards. I've always said a goal partially met is better than no goal at all. Next weekend I will run for sure. There are less than 6 weeks until the Kaiser half-marathon (a registration flyer came in the mail today, felt like the universe giving me a nudge but I know it's more like marketing nudgery). I need to do an assessment run. I plan to hit the road. If I can run 6 or more non-torturous miles I'll seriously consider Kaiser. If less, I'll shoot for the Emerald Nut Run in March, which is only a 12k.

8 comments:

  1. The new blog looks great, Michelle! I've been struggling with my weight loss journey and the information in FAQs and dealing with a slump are so helpful! I feel like I should be done already, but the reality is, I'm not. I was 3 pounds from goal and my life totally changed (new city, job search, etc) and I fell back into my old ways and gained 10 pounds. So I'm at it again, but I'm not giving up. I appreciate how real you are about the ups and downs. Thanks for your blog and your honesty...it's just what I needed. I will not give up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leslie! Never give up, that's the biggest secret of all, never give up. Remember to give yourself lots of credit for everything you do right, it balances out the challenges. Thanks for sharing your story, it inspired me too!!

      Delete
  2. I love your new page! I am happy for you, you will get back into your gym routine I am sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, already at it! Thanks for the page love. It's a change, I'm adjusting ;)

      Delete
  3. love the new layout and artwork on the page!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara! Always appreciate your support :)

      Delete
  4. Only a 12K - hahaha - that's so funny! I can't wait 'til I can say "only a 12K!" Oh and nice new look for your page!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Good point. How quickly we forget. And thanks for the page love.

      Delete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle