Monday, January 27, 2014

Day 22: Making my own sunshine

[PSA: "like" my blog's Facebook page to get tips and updates on my blog posts in your news feed.]

Zip-a-dee-do-dah, zip-a-dee-day. My oh my what a wonderful day. Plenty of sunshine heading my way...

Yep, feeling good. Life isn't always easy, there are tough moments and low points, but today isn't one of them. And further, I'm feeling good about feeling good. Do you ever feel guilty for feeling good when you think maybe you should be feeling like crap? I do. Happiness guilt. There's something really wrong with that. No matter, today I have none of it. I feel unapologetically good.

Breakfast: 39 grams Kashi GoLean, almond milk

Yep, back to the smaller portion. The full serving just seemed like more than I needed. Moreover, it's the serving I ate forever and worked great so why change things?

Snack: Banana, 1 brown rice cake

Today's lunch
Driving again today. I stopped at that natural foods store again to pick up a HeartThrive bar for lunch but they were completely sold out! I was bummed. So I had a B!g Sur bar called The Blind Date with "an oatmeal bottom and a thick, crunchy, delicious mix of pecans, almonds, coconut, dates, roasted sunflower seeds, brown sugar and honey on top." 600 calories, 33 grams of fat, 42 grams of sugar and 12 grams of protein in the whole bar. That's 10 teaspoons of sugar. I really think they could cut back. I emphasized whole bar because the serving size is 1/3 of the bar. I'm betting not many people eat a third of this and put the rest away.

Compared to the HeartThrive bar this was really sweet, like eating pecan pie. I would have preferred less sugar but this was my best option here for what I wanted. I considered heading over to Subway but it just didn't sound good. And the B!g Sur bar really filled me up so that's good. I just decided to send off a quick email to the B!g Sur people and let them know my thoughts. For whatever that's worth.

The work day was less stressful than in the recent past so that was nice. A little banging-my-head-into-a-brick-wall this morning but other than that, smooth sailing.

Snack: Apple, cheese stick

I went to the gym after work. I was craving a spin class but they don't have one on Mondays so the upright bike it was. I started chatting with a fellow gym-goer and wasn't able to stay at the level so I had to lower it a few times. But my heart rate stayed high anyway, maybe from the talking. Anyway, she helped the time go by faster so it was worth it.

After the bike I did legs/shoulders/core. I know I sound like a broken record but I'm really happy with how strong I'm getting again. I weighed myself this morning. 143.6 pounds and 28% body fat. I was thrilled to see 28%! I know what happens next, the pounds start to drop. Not that I'm feeling obsessed with getting back under 140 but it would be nice. I'm truly of the mind to do what I know works and see what happens. If my behaviors and habits are in line with my healthy routine, my weight will never be a problem, regardless of what the actual number is. Does that make sense?

On the way home from the gym I was hungry.

Snack: 3 satsuma oranges

Dinner: whole black beans, cream, avocado, 1 flour tortilla, pico de gallo

I felt a bit munchy after dinner so I had another satsuma and then a handful of veggie chips. I might have a few more satsumas if I want more to eat. Well, that's it from me! It's 9pm and I'm off to bed. Sleep. Must get enough sleep.

1 comment:

  1. Nah, I never feel guilty about feeling good. You only live once, so soak up and wallow in every moment of joy that you can; the grave will provide plenty of time for dead, joyless silence. What surprises me is the moments that I do suddenly have a wave of happiness come over me, like standing at the toilet taking a whizz, “Yeahh, today is turning out to be a pretty good day…” I guess my life hasn’t been too exciting lately, so such moments of joy have to interject themselves randomly and spontaneously at different points throughout the day. But, no apologies for feeling good!

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle