Sunday, January 20, 2008

Wah! Whoa! Woo-hoo!!

The weight gain this past week had an interesting effect on me. I sort of rebelled. I went to dinner on Thursday night and ordered one of the fattier menu items. Last night I went out to dinner too. I ordered a healthy appetizer and entrĂ©e but went on to eat 3 pieces of bread with butter and had a delectably evil banana tart dessert. I was pretty full. Despite that I came home and ate a WW cake and a WW muffin with milk if you can believe that. It felt very much like “old” behavior. I think it was the rebelling, maybe hormones, and the 2 glasses of wine I'd had with dinner.

I had this “Well, I worked hard and gained weight so I might as well do what I want" attitude. I can't believe I had such a textbook and, really, immature response. I thought I was beyond that. I guess not. This is embarrassing. Anyway, I went to bed feeling like I might not make it to the gym today.

But I turned things around today and it was nothing less than going to the gym that did it for me. I have this trick of talking the talk so I'm forced to walk the walk. This morning Miguel asked if I was going to the gym today. “Of course.”

I got to the gym and did my 30 minutes of cardio. 15 on the elliptical and 15 on the upright bike. The latter is finally getting easier, by the way. I hopped on the treadmill to cool-down as usual when I had the sudden urge to jog. I cranked it up to 4mph (that's cranked for me). I quickly upped it to 4.5mph. After a few minutes I started having this overall feeling of achy-ness that I can only describe as feeling like I'd been sitting for a very long time and just stood up; weird. At about 3.5 minutes I started feeling vague shin splints. I decided to make it to 5 minutes, and I did. I jogged for a whole 5 minutes!! Talk about a mood boost.

I went to lift weights feeling great. I used this new book I bought, Lift Log. I also broke my push-ups record today. I did two sets of 10. When I first started I could only do 3 or 4.

Needless to say I'm back on track and feeling silly about my initial reaction to gaining a measly pound that's probably not even a real gain anyway. Did I mention that I jogged for 5 minutes today??!! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle