Friday, April 25, 2008

On getting advice and then doing whatever I want anyway.

You've done that right? Listened politely as someone gave you advice knowing all the while you're not going to take it. So I met with a new trainer today, John, for my third and final pre-paid training session (the trainer I had for the previous two sessions quit my gym). John showed me a whole new batch of exercises, which I'll share in a moment...but first, John suggested I do 25 minutes of cardio, then weight training, then 25 minutes of cardio, then stretching. Nope. Ain't gonna happen.

You'll burn more calories that way.
Uh huh.
And it keeps you from getting bored too.
Uh huh.
I think it's the best way to go.
Ok.

Sometimes burning more calories is not the be-all-end-all. Sometimes doing what you know you like to do is more important. So, 50 minutes of cardio, then weight training and core, then stretching.

So, what super-cool changes did John make to my weight training routine? First thing is he had me lower the weight and up the reps on most of my exercises. For lower body I'm doing 3 sets of 12 squats (3x12), 3x12 lunges, 3x12 side lunges, 3x15 seated hamstring curl, 3x30 standing calf raises. What Fun! (only 1/2 in jest).

Upper body consists of 3x15 dumbell fly, 3x12 modified pushups, 3x12 shoulder raises, 3x12 rope extension triceps, 3x15 each of bicep curls, lat pulldowns and rows. Damn.

The core work are obliques on this swinging machine thing, incline leg raises and 3 hover planks held for as long as I can - here's a pic of a woman doing a hover plank, I bet I look a lot like her when I do them :)

I know I'm going to miss good 'ol crunches so I'm going to keep doing 25 of those too.

I alternate lower and upper body and do core and stretching every time. In case you forgot (how could you?!) my gym days are Mon, Wed and Fri. This was another thing John was not thrilled with. I could see he thought I should be in the gym at least 5 days a week. If not 6. Uh huh.

I had already done my cardio before the session. Oh, and when I arrived at the gym I realized I didn't have my ipod. I hate that. But oh! Big news!!! I jogged for 20 minutes! There should have been confetti falling from the ceiling at the gym upon my completing this, and a band. Wow is all I can say. And you know what else? You're going to love this, it wasn't hard. No kidding, I wasn't gasping for breath or dying of leg pain or anything. Between you and me, I'm not convinced it actually happened. Wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to have been a dream. 20 whole, straight, 5mph, 1% incline minutes. So that was Day 3 of Week 5 of the c25k running plan. I think I'm going to do Week 5 one more time (if two is good, three is better?) before going to Week 6. I need to experience this 20 minute thing again.

So I'm a little nervous. I'm going on a road ride with a group tomorrow, Healdsburg to Alexander Valley Bike & Wine in the Sonoma County area. It was described to me as "about 20 miles with a few gentle grades." When I expressed my hesitancy and newbie-ness I was told, "don't worry, this ride is more about the socializing and winery visits anyway!". So I went for it. I sure hope I don't die. I sure hope I don't embarrass myself beyond belief. I sure hope I don't fall off my bike or have to turn back. Wish me luck.

So after my session with John I decided to do the lower body day, since today is a lower body gym day. I cut back on the sets though because I didn't want to kill my legs before the ride tomorrow. Those side lunges were tricky. Here's how they should look. Is it ok if I don't smile like that when I do them?

I wrapped up it all up by stretching and then riding home. Yep, riding. I rode my bike to the gym. I remember, not too long ago really, when making it the 2.5 miles to the gym on my bike was a challenge and a triumph. I don't want to say it's easy, but it sure isn't a challenge anymore. I'm keeping my old mountain bike as a ride-around-town bike.

Here's a picture of the old new-again Cannondale. Miguel previously gave me a big cushy seat, which is perfect for around town riding, and I added one of those racks things on the back to put stuff on, like a bag of groceries. I know you want to see pictures of them so...





Alright, maybe you didn't want to see pictures but I'm just a picture taking picture posting maniac sometimes so there you go. Speaking of that, Miguel's been getting into this bike riding thing right along with me. He even bought the clothes! He loves all the "stuff" that goes along with any activity. So Miguel went on a road ride this morning solo. He's got this ride he wants us to do together but I'm worried about the hills so he went on a recon mission to check it out. Here he is this morning getting ready to leave. He looked so darn cute I had to take his picture!



Well, the weather is going to be gorgeous this weekend! It's Friday. Yay!

3 comments:

  1. lol..well, of course you can do whatever you want! You've proven that you know what you're doing cause it's working. AND! You don't even have to smile while you're doing it....only if you want to.

    I keep seeing this same thing come up for you. You don't think you can do something, or it's going to be unbelievably hard, but you try it anyway. And then, voila! It is much easier than you thought it would be. it shows that you really are in good good shape these days. You have no idea how much hope that gives me that one day I will be able to do all the fun things I want to do.

    Your old bike is so cute, but not as cute as Miguel of course. Sheesh, if I knew you had a spare bike I wouldn't have spent hours the other day looking for folding bikes so when I come visit I can go biking with you. Yes, I know there is a special bike for every type of ride, but I am just happy to know that we could go on some kind of ride...once I get back in ridable shape that is. I think that will be one of my goals-to go on a fun bike ride with you and Miguel.
    A bunch of my nonsmoking buddies have checked out your blog and of course they are very impressed with all the progress you've made, as well as loving your pics, you photo-taking, pic-sharing maniac, you. Looking forward to more pics from this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting caught up here! Eveything looks great! The bike tour with the group sounds like so much fun! You'll be fine!

    I won't be doing B2B. My brother always wants me to go up for that but it's always 2 weeks before the SDRNR marathon.

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle