Saturday, May 17, 2008

Looking Forward

All this time at home has allowed me some time to think. I had to do something so I cleaned up my bedroom. It was getting to be a mess! As I was putting gym clothes away and packing my gym bag I felt a real pang of missing my workouts and exercise. I suddenly regretted all the times that I whined about not wanting to go to the gym. I just felt bad for ever not wanting to do something that I now can't do but am antsy to do. Of course that got me to thinking about all the people that have physical limitations and can't do what I've been doing and then I was just one big ball of guilt. In all I think it's a good thing. I now have a greater appreciation for exercise, for being able to go the gym, for riding my bike and swimming. The ironic thing is I think the most likely exercise I could do right now is swimming but I can't go in a swimming pool because of the stitches. I think the bike and jogging would be too much.

Anyway, so my other realization has been brewing for a while. I have 21.4 pounds to lose. When I joined Weight Watchers if you would have told me about a woman who was joining to lose 21 pounds I would have scoffed. Ha! 21 Pounds? That's nothing. Just go home and have a Bon Bon and revel in your somewhat-plump-but-not-really-fat self. Well, now that I'm walking in those shoes it doesn't feel like nothing. I'm here to take back any judgments I had about women who have less weight to lose. I guess the lesson for me is that most of us are striving toward something, I'm sure even the fittest women struggle at times with following their plan.

So I'm looking over the Summer and Fall college schedules to figure out if/how I can take Jean's swimming classes. I think I'm going to have to skip Summer classes as the schedule doesn't work for a 9-5er like me. But I'm going to register for her Fall class. Yay! I also saw a Triathlon Training class. Wow, that'd be cool, but it meets from 9:30am to 11am so I can't do it.

So after cleaning up my room I started in on a "So You Think You Can Dance" marathon. That show is pretty cool. It makes me want to dance. Dancing is one of those fun physical activities I wanted to get into. It just hasn't worked out so far. I'm busy with the whole training thing and don't really have time to take a class, which is what I need. The classes I've looked in to are on a weeknight and it just doesn't work. Miguel already complains that I'm not home much. But that got me to looking at the College of Marin dance classes. There's a dance class called Popular Dance Styles [Hip-Hop Emphasized] and it's on Tuesday nights from 7:10 to 10pm. That fits my schedule perfectly! I think I'm going to take a crack at it. Doesn't that sound fun?? So I sent in the application and will register for classes as soon as I can.

Whew! I just stepped out to check on Miguel; he's working in the garage. I saw my bike sitting there and just had to hop on it. I rode, gently, around the block and felt grrreat! Yay! I just decided I'm heading to the gym on Monday to do whatever I can. If it's only a little bit, that's ok. I know it will be hard for me because I tend toward this all-or-nothing mentality but I'm going to do it.

Oh boy, I just learned Irene has a hip fracture and is having surgery. Please wish her well. She's an awesome and inspirational runner and will be missing her San Diego Rock-n-Roll marathon that she loves.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I was thinking along the same lines today. I'm feeling better and starting to get cabin fever and trying to figure out when I can start training again. I'm thinking of trying something tomorrow, even if it's just a walk around the block.

    I've always wanted to take a dance class too, just haven't gotten to it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there, Buddy. Pretty soon you'll be back to doing all the things you've grown to love. In the meantime, how about some retail therapy? Just a few articles of clothing to keep you going through these last 21 pounds?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dance classes are so much fun. That is how I get most of my exercise in these days (4 classes a week - all ethnic dance). I'm not sure about Marin but I know a bunch of dance studios on SF have weekend classes. Checkk your local rec center too. I used to teach at mine years ago and they also offered weekend classes.
    Hope you're feeling better soon and that you enjoy teh hip hop class!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister, who is tiny - around 120 pounds, called me once to ask me for advice losing 4 pounds. She was really hesitant to ask me because I am around 90 pounds above a healthy weight. She started off by telling me how stupid her question was going to sound, like I would not understand that 4 pounds was a big deal to her when I am struggling to lose close to 100.

    I have never been the type to judge other people's weight loss needs. I told her that it's her body and those 4 pounds matter to her.

    I think she is the reason I have that attitude because I am pretty sure she has a more negative body image than I do. I am actually pretty happy with myself, thankfully. I'm just concerned about future health problems and the fact that my injured knee won't heal with all this extra weight.

    Anyway, I am glad that you realized that your past judgments were wrong. And I am so happy for you that you lost so much weight and developed a love of exercise. Even though I don't comment, your blog is a real inspiration to me!

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle