Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Running Free

I have to start this post by saying thank you to everyone who commented on my post last night.  I was so moved by all the support and encouragement.  And the reminders that life has its ups and downs, and to face them with the knowledge that I can handle whatever comes.  So to Kristy, MsEmmesse, Darla, Sheryl C, Christal (CPAGrrrl), Cherelli, MaryFran, Cori (ctr24), Melissa, and KathyJ - thank you. 

Today started off with getting the kids up and off to daycare.  I came home and did some reading.  It was drizzling outside and I worried I might never go on my run.  Drizzly, blustery outside vs warm, cozy inside.  Now there's an easy choice, right?  But Mark, the owner of my gym, called around 9:30am and asked if I had time to come in to meet with him.  He had the ad ready and wanted me to sign a waiver for him to use it.  I will refrain from going into my response to the ad until I can share it with you, which I am absolutely DYING to do.  He said maybe a week. He wants to make up the poster and stuff before I share it.  Ack!  Suffice to say, his timing could not have been better.  Wait until you see the copy he put next to my picture. 

So, the good thing is, his call got me off the couch and dressed for my run.  I met him a little before 11am and by 11:30 I was out in the drizzly day, running.  I'd forgotten my Garmin watch at home so I decided to run for time.  I didn't even put my heart rate monitor on.  I figured if I run 50 minutes that's probably at least 5 miles.  I just wanted to run.

And run I did.  I headed from my gym toward the local junior college.  I ran through the campus, choosing a route with some nice little hills (instead of the flat route).  I was breathing hard, running hard, at times pushing myself and at times letting my feet just flow over the ground and through the air.  I have no idea how fast I ran but I know there were times when I was running as fast as ever.  So many thoughts floating through my head, so many feelings being flushed out and aired out and released.  I am me, in this moment, living as best I can.  In this moment, I am strong, determined and in the next, I am weak and vulnerable.  But my hopes are pure.  With every step I leave behind what I do not need, what does not help.  I splash in puddles that could be my tears but I keep moving forward.  I am running, and while I'm running, I am free.

Tostada with grilled chicken, black beans, guac, lettuce, salsa, jalapenos.
I met Miguel for lunch after my run.  We chose to eat at a small taqueria.  As we were walking in I hoped the place would be warm and thank goodness it was.  I was glad to be able to order a healthy lunch.  Miguel and I tucked into a corner booth and shared a small bowl of chips and salsa while we waited for our food.  I ordered a tostada with grilled chicken, black beans, lettuce, salsa, jalapenos, and guacamole.  And I ate some of the vegetables he'd left in his soup.  It was good, very comfort foodish but still healthy and balanced.  I told him about the gym ad and he's excited to see it.  He's always been so supportive of my fitness related pursuits.  I sent him off back to work and came home to shower and change.  Not sure what I'll do with my last couple of hours, might go window shopping, might stay on the couch with a blanket and read.  Or maybe I'll take a nap.  Who am I kidding, I'm terrible at napping.  Ok, wrapping this up.  Thanks again for all the support.

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad Mark called, but I think you would have gotten out there and run anyway. Cause that's how you are now. A runner. Sounds wonderful to feel so happy and free when you're running. Reminds me of running in the woods when I was a kid. I can't wait to see the ad! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to think you're right, but my butt was awfully cozy on that couch :) I probably would have waited until the last minute and then had to rush my run. Nothing like what I did get, which was so perfect and what I needed. You are going to love the ad I think. He just wouldn't give the damn thing up yet!

      Delete
  2. Good for you for running despite the weather. I love running through college campuses. I feel safe and there's always a ton of students running around as well (at least where I am).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily. All the little footpaths are nice and there are so many trees. And it wasn't too crowded either, which was also nice.

      Delete
  3. Starting is always the worst. Once I'm rolling with it, I LOVE it. It's just getting over the hurdle of starting. Yay to the little nudge that you had that helped you get moving! And I'm DYING to see the ad!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth? I was glad it helped get my ball rolling early in the day. And remind yourself how much you love it once you start, that reinforcement will make it easier to get moving next time. Positive associations are so powerful. More than we know.

      I can't wait to share the ad too!

      Delete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle