Friday, January 25, 2013

Struck Down

Friday, oh what a day.  This has been a week, let me tell ya.  My schedule was pretty full today.  I've gotten a taaaad behind at work and catching up is taking an effort, in addition to all my other duties.  I had my normal breakfast and packed healthy snacks to carry for the day.  Raw veggies and Greek yogurt dip, an apple, string cheese.  Fortunately I was able to eat lunch at the work cafeteria.  I didn't have my phone to take a picture but had my standard huge salad, a slice of veggie polenta pie, a few bites of veggie quiche and tomato soup.

After work I went to the gym and did a lovely 3 mile run on the treadmill followed by chest/triceps/core.  My legs are still a bit sore from yesterday's leg workout.  During half-marathon training I only weight train 3x a week, and since I have 3 weight training routines that means I go a week between training a certain body part (i.e. legs/shoulders).  That's just enough time for me to get sore the next time I do them.  Not sure if this is making sense but hopefully.  But half-marathon training is wrapping up here soon, I'm starting my taper week on Sunday so I'll be back to 4x a week strength training here soon.

So I just tried to sign up as a volunteer at Escape from Alcatraz.  It's something I really wanted to do last year but couldn't.  Believe it or not it looks like all the slots are taken.  This is such a popular sport you have to be on the ball just to volunteer!  Oh well, maybe next year.  I would like to find an event to volunteer at this year, I am overdue on the giving back part.  Maybe Vineman, I just checked and they have lots of volunteer spots left.  Even better because I have my sights loosely set on Vineman for my Half-Ironman next year (that or the Big Kahuna in Santa Cruz).  I say loosely set because I want to see how my first olympic distance triathlon goes this year before I set my next distance goal. 

So the lovely little county I live in got some seriously good press.  The New York Times covered 36 Hours in Marin County, Calif.  Some of the areas they suggested for a visit are sweet spots for me.  If you come to this area you really can't go wrong. 

I went to my Weight Watchers meeting today.  I'm weighing in these days with all my clothes and shoes on, which is different (usually I take off any extra layers and my shoes).  I was well within my goal weight.  The weight I pay attention to, my morning nekkid weight was 139.2 pounds.  I'm happy with that.  My weight seems to be stabilizing around the 140 mark.  And I occasionally get a 25% body fat readout, which is nice.  Mostly though it's in the 27% range.  I need to have it measured by a water tank, that would be cool.

Anyway, the WW meeting inspired me to make a meal plan for this week, I've been slacking on that lately.   Now if I can just get to the grocery store I'll be golden.  I might take the kids to a friend's house tonight for a movie-night get together with some mom friends.

As far as weekend plans...not much.  We don't have any set plans for tomorrow, which is nice.  I'm sure something family oriented will be happening.  On Sunday morning I think I'm going to meet up with the Marin Social Runners and do a 7-mile trail run in Fairfax from Deer Park to Pheonix Lake and back.  My training schedule calls for a 10-mile run but I figure 7 miles on a trail with hills probably equals 10 flat road miles.  Plus the company would be nice.  My solo runs are good but for that long it might be nice to have other people around so I don't get too lost in my own thoughts. 
Ok, I wrote all that before dinner. One hour after dinner I got truck with the stomach bug the kids have. All plans are now up in the air. Don't be surprised if you don't hear from me for a few days.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no! The flu stinks. I work in a school and unfortunately catch stuff that's no fun here and there. You live in a beautiful area indeed. My sister lives in Santa Cruz and I am always amazed at how breathtaking and calm everything is. Living in downtown Chicago there is no calm. :) I hope you get better soon.

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle