Sunday, December 29, 2013

147


147. That's the number from the scale this morning.

So, I'm now over my goal weight. I'd say "it had to happen eventually" but I don't really believe it did. I have plenty of explanations excuses, and none of them really justify what's happened. The only real explanation is that I remain, as before, a food junkie.

I was mitigating that reality with enough exercise and good food choices to keep my weight under 145, my goal weight, for the past year. And then I got sick, again. And I've had some life happens stuff going on. And, and, and.

The only question now is...what to do. I could allow this reality to take me down. Plenty of successful losers have done just that. They slip, fall, and don't get up. I've slipped, no doubt. And in many ways, I am still down. But in the most important way that matters, I'm up.

I have a plan, I have faith, I have a strong internal desire to never give up. This weight loss thing was my dream that I dared to dream (to steal a phrase), and then even bigger, I realized. I will not allow my current struggle to take me down. I know what my 233.8 pound former self would say, she'd tell me to 1. Not take this too seriously and 2. Take this seriously. It's that balance thing again, a little of this, a bit of that. She'd tell me to keep my chin up, focus on the positive. Feels like a list is in order.

What's going right in my eating/fitness world
1. I am exercising and still have a good level of personal fitness
2. I am still within the "normal" BMI
3. I am still blogging
4. I care and I want this
5. I have gained the skills, habits and knowledge to navigate this
6. I am about to start a New Year challenge that will help me gain focus. In other words, I have a plan.

What's not going right in my eating/fitness world
1. 147
2. I am eating a bunch of crap
3. My thoughts. The crap I'm thinking can be as bad as the crap I'm eating

I'd say "I still look good" because that's what most people say when I tell them I'm struggling. But the truth is, my appearance is just not what this is about. Yes, I enjoy looking good, but if I don't feel good, what's the point? I want the inside and the outside to match. If they don't match, it won't be long before they do because the outside will eventually reflect the inside. In other words, if I don't feel good it won't be long before I don't look good either. At least that's my reality, YMMV.

And I can't help but notice that the first list is longer than the second. Of course in diet:think the 147 number eliminates all that's right, but I don't think like that anymore, at least I try not to. That's the kind of thinking that leads to the dark side. As do Hershey's kisses, they lead directly to the dark side. And the good news is, they are gone (because I ate them all).

I'm sure I'll be posting about this more as I work to get myself back into my happy place - mind and body. But for now, let's table it. Because I have better news. I ran today, and more than just a few miles. It was not glorious, nor terrible. It had a moment or two of glory, and some moments of discomfort, but mostly it was just about putting one foot in front of the other and running.

I did a kid-watch swap with my buddy Catherine. She ran first while I watched the kids at her house. I decided to run her route, a 6 mile lollipop route that sounded doable. When she returned she gave me directions and away I went while she watched the kids. The directions included turning right to run a 2-mile loop around "Deer Valley Island". What she failed to mention was that this 2-mile loop was on a trail. With hills. Key pieces of information there Catherine.

But did I falter? No. Did I turn back? No. Did I just keep running? Yes, ma'am I did. My pace was what it was, my legs were sore, my breathing at times labored, but I ran. Oh, turns out the "6-mile" route was 6.5 miles. Hmph.

I was slower than in the past but super happy to come in under 11-minute mile average. The weather was pristine, my body still works.

Full Garmin stats here.
 I know those hills don't look like much but when you've been off the wagon for a bit like I have, they were a challenge. "I like hills, they add interest and challenge to a run, a flat run with no hills at all is boring." Yep, I invoked a bit of hill mantra to keep me happy.

That's it from me. I'm home with the kidlets tomorrow because pre-school is still closed but I have a plan to get to the gym. I still got this. I'm 147 pounds and I still got this.

10 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a really motivational post, thanks so much. I am at the same point as you (mentally - unfortunatley physically I am miles off 147!) and you have reminded me that the tough times are the most important times to buck up and pull through. My WW leader said to me once - if you had a puncture in one wheel of your car, you wouldn't sabotage the whole thing by deliberately puncturing the other 3 - you are living it and I have much respect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You ARE at the same point as me, because it's not about the number on the scale, it's about where our heads are at. The tough times are when we need the meetings the most. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Of course you have this....take a step back and look at the big picture. You are up 2 pounds from your goal weight. Its only TWO pounds. 2 pounds Michelle. You can lose that two pounds in a week with effort. You are allowed to falter .You are allowed to wavier. What you are not allowed to do is make this into something its not :) Its life . you know it and I know it. So know go do what you have proven you can do. Take those two pounds back off. Not because you are over goal weight. not because "gasp" what will your readers think. but because its getting in the way of you feeling good about yourself. And in the end isn't this what this journey for all of "should" be about....being happy in our own skin. I love you girl....go get em :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Colleen. You are SO right, only 2 pounds. And I know it will be gone soon enough, though I'm not in a crazy fast hurry to get them gone (maybe I should be!). Like you said, I AM wanting to feel better again about myself. That's what drives me, a desire to feel good. Thanks for the love!

      Delete
  3. This is the first time I have read your blog and it was so refreshing to have some one who is honest. It isnt the end of the world to put on a bit of weight but in your mind you know its there. But you know you can get it back off again. Your run was the first step.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the positive feedback Irene and welcome to my blog!

      Delete
  4. yes you DO still got this! you can do it. and, if you can do it, then i can do it. keep being motivating to all us out here reading your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes you can Sara - I hope you're moving too. You know as well as I do that it feels good once you do it and it's always worth it in the end.

      Delete
  5. You're aware, you're not isolating, you're sharing with us, and you're doing something about it!!! You got this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tired Mama (love the name). I do believe you're right.

      Delete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle