Thursday, January 2, 2014

Double Issue

[PSA: "like" my blog's Facebook page to get tips and updates on my blog posts in your news feed.]

Thursday, January 2nd, 2:30pm:

I'm going to write some of this post now and some tonight. We'll call this the first installment of today's blog. Oh boy am I dragging. I have that afternoon sleepiness thing that was a daily companion pre-weight loss. It disappeared when I got into shape and lost weight but has made a return since I've been off the wagon. In my experience it takes about 3 weeks before I start seeing the positive energy returns of regular exercise. In the meantime, I'm just tired. That means that regardless of how tired I feel, I WILL go to the gym after work. Any slacking now will only lengthen this adjustment period.

Changing subjects...the other day I was telling someone about the extra pounds I've gained these past couple of months and uttered the words, "I'm not happy with my body right now." Almost as soon as I heard them I recoiled, "Wait, what?! You're not happy with your body?". And I immediately retracted, clarified, restated - I am INCREDIBLY happy with my body, it is amazing and has been for my entire life, despite my not always realizing it. It's only that I have a bit more body fat than in my ideal world, not that I'm unhappy with my body. Now, I don't expect this to happen, but even if for some reason I never lost the extra body fat, I'd still be happy with my body. Because I haven't lost my mind, I know I'm in damn good shape and that all things considered, my body is amazing. That is all on that subject. The rest of this post will come tonight, post-workout.

...later that same day, 9:00pm:

Second installment of today's blog...I, as you expected, made it to the gym after work today. I started with Glen's most amazing spin class. Made even more amazing tonight because it was co-led by Mark, the gym owner I told you about who's now all buff and full of energy after losing 65 pounds. The two of them were a riot and between the laughing and the panting the class was over in a hurry. I left at the start of the cooldown because I needed time to lift weights. I had back/biceps/PT exercises.

It's funny how before, I thought all these exercises, like the golfer's lunge or seated row weren't doing anything because they were so easy. Now that they're hard, I realize I was indeed doing something. I mentioned this to a fellow gym-goer and he said, "Well, that's an affirmation that you were actually working to stay in shape, as opposed to being naturally fit." Right. Putting it that way makes it ludicrous that I ever doubted I was doing something, despite how easy it was. Naturally fit, I wish.

Have I mentioned my back pain? Well, it's back, er, returned. I think it's because I'm getting into my routine again and challenging myself. I went to the movies last night and after an hour I got all shifty in my seat trying to ease it. And that was after taking some Advil for a mild (possibly caffeine related) headache. But I'll keep plugging away with the PT exercises and hope that as I rebuild some muscle overall it gets better. Because I do want to get back to some tougher ab exercises one day. I miss my "hard" ab stuff.

By the way, I saw American Hustle. I haven't been to a movie in ages so can I comment on the women's bodies? I mean, bam! Jennifer Lawrence looked like a warm cup of milk (and I mean that in the best possible way) and Amy Adams, she was more like a hot toddy. They both looked amazing, but I guess I'm objectifying them a bit, huh? Ok, the acting was good too, I really liked their work, very intense stuff.


Well, the kids are snoozing, finally so I'm going to tuck in to do the same. I have a busy weekend planned and I need all the rest I can get.

---------------------------------
I am a licensed clinical social worker with a private practice offering Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) for weight loss and maintenance. I have an office in Marin County, CA and I'm also available to see people via Skype. To learn more please visit my professional website at www.michellefunez.com

2 comments:

  1. Awesome, I'm looking forward to seeing American Hustle too - meant to be going to see it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like it! I loved the wardrobe and hair. Oh and the music was great too. That's all in addition to the plot, which was fun too.

      Delete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle