Monday, December 30, 2013

4 Random Reasons I Want to Stay Fit

Another day home with the kiddies. It's been so nice to have a string of days home with them. Today we lounged in the morning and later had a midday playdate at the park. We climbed, ran and slid and I noted to myself how good it feels to be physical with the kids. [Playing with the kids, Reason #1]. In maintenance it's so important to reinforce why I wanted this in the first place.

After the park we ran some errands, including Trader Joe's grocery store. Marek grabbed a bag of mini chocolate peanut butter cups because last time we were there I purchased some that we shared - of course I had more than the kids did. So today he tried to toss them in the cart, "we're not getting those this time." He protested mildly but put them back without much guff.

The importance of modeling healthy behaviors was smack in front of me. [Modeling, Reason #2]. I suspect if I hadn't purchased them last time he wouldn't have tried to put them in the cart, they might not have even registered on his radar. It's a good thing what I choose for us most of the time are healthy foods. I can chock that one up to the holidays, even though I know that wasn't it.

In the late afternoon my mom came over so I could get to the gym. I had that 4pm tired feeling - I felt more than a little grumpy too - and I didn't want to go to the gym. I pulled my inner mom-card on myself, "You're going, end of discussion." I've learned enough to know that once I go, I'll be better for it and my grumpy/tired feeling will disappear.

And that's just what happened. I started with 25 minutes on the upright bike and opted to give level 9 a try, the level I'd been doing pre-pneumonia. Ha! It kicked my quads (and glutes). I wasn't able to keep the rpm's I usually keep but I know it's only a matter of time. I think I muttered a curse word under my breath at some point. After the bike I did chest/triceps/PT exercises. I'm already noticing the pushups are getting slightly easier. The planks too were not as difficult as they've been lately. Progress. But still, the workout kicked my ass. As soon as I'm done writing I'm taking a hot bath.
 
After the gym I hustled home to make dinner. I'd promised the kids a visit to the "Christmas house" after dinner and the post-gym buzz powered me through that just fine. [Energy for everyday life, Reason #3]. Exercise, a magic cure for what ails you. Oh, and my grumpy feeling was gone too, bring on the smile! [Less stress, Reason #4]. I forgot to include this selfie from after yesterday's run so I'm adding it here to pretty up this post. Yep, I just said that.

Last thing - I'm tapering off coffee. I had 8oz yesterday, 7oz today. If I cut my cup by an ounce per day I'll be at 0 come the 1/6/14 start date of the Healthy Challenge. I'm not sure I'll stay off the coffee for the challenge, I plan to try it out and see how it goes. I love my morning coffee and I may not be willing to give it up. Alcohol, no problem. Coffee? We'll see. Not sure tea will do the trick. Another focus is on getting sleep, the challenge calls for us to be in bed by 10pm. Great idea! We'll see how good I am at making it happen. On that note, I'm off to bed to read, 'night.

2 comments:

  1. i couldn't do the no coffee thing. also, i can't be in bed by 10pm cuz that's what time i get off work. haha! well, that's what time i'm *scheduled* to get off work...frequently i work a double shift and don't get off work until 6am the next morning! only to be back to work by 2pm that same day. craziness. i'm sure you'll rock this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're reeling it in! Happy New Year! 2013 was an awesome year for you in terms of fitness. I think 2014 will be just as awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle