Sunday, January 13, 2013

10 Miles and a Busy Sunday

The song at our house would be more like, "Just another manic Sunday...".  It was an action packed day, which started out for me with a yummy breakfast, cereal and coffee.

Nature's Path Pumpkin Flax Granola ("weekend cereal"), TJs coffee creamer
I was doing some complaining to a friend about my GI issues, especially as related to the long run, and got the suggestion that maybe I'm lactose intolerant.  Hmm, something to consider.  Speaking of GI issues, while doing some online research on the matter I read about runners who take Immodium AD before a long run (or some take it after) and it fixes everything.  My pain was so bad last week I decided to give it a try.  It didn't hurt that I was already experiencing some, uh, intestinal discomfort, when I woke this morning.  It was also going to be in the mid-30's when I started running so I used my inhaler to help prevent wheezing.  Oh and my friggin' period is going on week 2...when will it end?

I drove to Mill Valley to run on the Mill Valley-Sausalito path.  I wanted something scenic since I'd be out there for a while.  I wore my cold weather running tights, a long-sleeved running shirt and a long-sleeved cold weather running shirt over that, and a headband that covers my ears.  Of course I did all the traditional long run stuff like using body glide to prevent friction and having an AccelGel about 10 minutes before I started running.

I did a little warm-up walk and then started running just before 9:30am.  Given my stomach upset and my still-a-bit-sore body (from Thursday) I started out at a nice 10:00 per mile pace.  After a couple miles of that I started feeling good enough to pick it up a bit, closer to 9:30 for the next couple miles.  I had two shot bloks at mile 3.  The sun was shining and the temperature had risen to the mid-40's, just beautiful running weather.  By mile 5 I was feeling spiffy enough to just run and my pace picked up to closer to 9:15 for the next few miles.  I had two more shot bloks at mile 6.  As I neared the 9-mile mark I decided it would be a fun challenge to try and run the last mile at a 09:00 pace.  I planned to have two more shot bloks at mile 9 but was so focused on my 09:00 plan that I forgot.

10 miles in 1:34:12 !!
Oh that last mile took some mental doing.  I was pushing myself but felt good enough to do it.  I was so happy with how I felt, my body was fully cooperating and I was loving it.  I got a few small stomach cramps but nothing that slowed me down.  Man I'm glad I stopped Friday night's run after only 1 mile, I think it saved today's run.  I ran the last mile in 08:54.  Yippee!  And boy-oh-boy was I happy to stop running.  Whew!  When I stopped running it was 48°, beautiful temperature if you're running, a bit chilly if you're standing around stretching.  I looked at my Garmin and o.m.g. - my overall pace was 9:25 for a total run time of 1:34:12.  Full Garmin stats here.  Makes my optimal goal of running Kaiser at a 9:30 pace seem attainable.  I just need the stars to align and my body (and mind) to cooperate for it to happen.  
  My stomach was not spared the post-run angst altogether but it wasn't nearly as bad as last week.  More like mild discomfort that I could handle with a trip or two to the bathroom.  Before long I was starving and ended up in a warm coffee shop eating a bagel with cream cheese and having a (soy) skinny vanilla latte.  I was cozy, relaxed and happy.  Happy, happy, happy.  I did a bit of window shopping at Athleta and a running store and then headed for home.


Miguel and our little man.
Baskin Robbins, kids scoop Pralines and Cream
The boys were at the soccer field for Miguel's game and my mom was home with Myra.  After a quick shower and a string cheese I went to pick up Marek, though by the time I got there the game was over.  He was having a blast at the field.  Miguel had promised him ice cream so I took him to Baskin Robbins.  I had to have my own too, a kid's size scoop of pralines and cream for me.  I muddled through the rest of the day but marveled at how good my legs felt, how good my whole body felt considering.  Of course I had TTOTM cramps earlier and had taken ibuprofen so that was probably helping alleviate any post-run soreness I might otherwise be feeling.

Tonight I had a bit of unusual fun.  The owners of my gym are doing some publicity photography and videos for their website.  They asked me to be a part of it.  Tonight was the photography and in two Sundays they are doing video interviews.  It felt really good to be asked.  They did a bit of prettying me up and then started taking pictures.  I was wearing my most fitted tops (per their instruction) and they still put clips on the back of my shirt to make it totally fitted.  I have none to share here yet (though I posted a few grainy preview pics on my FB page) but I'm quite excited to see the final images.  The whole process made me feel, dare I say, not bad looking.  I know, I know...I'm getting there.  

I came home and my mom had (at my request, no less) picked up Popeye's fried chicken for dinner.  I ate a hearty (but not heart healthy) dinner and called it a day.  Ice cream, fried chicken, a 10 mile run and a gym photo shoot.  That's a full day if I ever heard of one.

8 comments:

  1. Ugh! Long run digestion issues were nearly the death of me. I finally figured out that I needed electrolytes. Started popping Nuun and eating a snickers bar instead of gu and that seemed to do the trick. Glad to hear that you are finding what works for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh, I always assumed gels and whatnot had electrolytes in them? Something else for me to try because the Immodium AD didn't prevent all the post-run digestion problems. Thanks for the tip, Kari. Can't see your profile pic as it's very small but you look like you've been on this same journey, nice work!

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to see the 'official' pics...you deserve every bit of being picked for their advertising/promotional campaign. You've worked for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MaryFran. I hope it doesn't take a year to get them, my gym owners are very enthusiastic but also very busy so we'll see.

      Delete
  3. You are awesome! Congrats on the photo shoot! You are a model! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a banner day in my book. I don't know how you get it all done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I don't. But when I do, it sure feels satisfying! Thanks for the support, as always :)

      Delete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle